Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gmail: Sometimes the Magic Works & Sometimes It Doesn't

Remember when Yahoo used to be the "best free webmail service in the world"? That used to be in the days before Gmail.

Now Yahoo has been reduced to "the world's most visited home page," which isn't bad, either, but since like everybody else who ever produced anything on the web they always have to make everything bigger and better than before, they all wind up larger than life, and definitely larger than fun.

Everybody seems to be so scared of being discarded on the scrapheap, replaced by ever groovier updates and upgrades, that nobody ever seems to realize that more - and what often people really are looking for - is sometimes less.

That's one reason why Yahoo has long stopped being my default mail service, just as Nero has stopped being my default burner ever since they thought they had to become larger than life and plaster their software all over my system...

And so, I've let Big Brother Google take over the communicating part of my life.
But only as long as the magic works, that is, because sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes Big Brother strikes, when you're trying to withhold some information from him.
Like in, trying to send encrypted mail.

Those are the times I can try for 3 hours to send a mail, and it just won't be sent.

Those are the times I'm happy I still have my Yahoo account.

0 comments: